Happenings, Photos, letters, and occasional rambling from a family that lives the ARMYLIFE.
Monday, July 5, 2010
God is Good
I must say that I have had a marvelous and memorable 4th of July weekend. Maybe my best ever. I welcomed my husband home on Saturday from a year long deployment in Iraq and I can't say that the timing could have been any better. I was so happy to finally see him and have him home. Earlier that day I spoke with another army spouse regarding how deployments can actually benefit your marriage. I think that this is something that only military wives will ever be able to totally comprehend and understand. But I believe that it is true. Now I am not suggesting that I like deployments, but I am saying that I am a firm believer in the statement that "absence makes the heart grow fonder". Over the last 12 months, I have remembered and missed all the wonderful things about my husband. I have re-discovered the things that make me love him and even with thousands of miles between us, he managed to sweep me off my feet and I fell in love with him all over again. Yes, deployments are hard...but it is important for us military wives to sometimes put all the negatives of deployments in the trash and appreciate the positive things that it brings to our lives and our marriages. I know that another layer of strength has been added to my relationship with my husband, my kids, my God, and myself. I am thankful that God allowed us to grow closer together over this last year and I am especially thankful that God found it within His will to bring my husband home healthy and unharmed. God is good....even during deployments!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
When I was reading your blog I felt I could relate to every word of it! Even though my husband has been home for over a year now I don't forget what it is like without him. There have been times when I feel upset over some little thing he does and it's then I will remind myself not to long ago you didn't even have him here to hold. For me not only did it make my heart grow fonder but left a constant awarness of what life could be like without him. I am glad your husband is home and prayed for you while he was away. Praise be to God for he is good and His mercy endureth forever!
Amanda Olsen
I couldn't agree with you more! Levi and I have talked many times about how his deployments have made our marriage that much stronger. You learn to appreciate one another and aren't so petty. Life is too short and not one more day is promised to us; so we'd better love each other while we can. Love you guys!
Great post Heather! I like the attitude of seeing the positives that can come from a deployment. They are hard...and not something we wish for. But as you said so well, a lot of good can come of it if we are willing to see it! =)
-Laura
Heather- what a sweet and encouraging post! Your family is a true inspiration. I love the way you took a negative situation and completely turned it into a positive. God is good!!!
Post a Comment